Posts for tag: dental crowns
Dental crowns have several important uses in dentistry, including restoring infected teeth after root canal therapy, covering implants, and securing dental bridges. You may find that crowns are the right choice for resolving your unique dental problem while giving you a long-term solution. You’ll know for sure after you visit Dr. Mary Gregory at her Arlington, VA, dentist office.
Dental Crown Treatment
Dentists place over 2 million crowns every year according to the American College of Prosthodontists, making it a top restorative treatment. It is one of the most beneficial treatments in dentistry, giving patients renewed confidence in the appearance and stability of their teeth. After months or years of seeing a tooth deteriorate, lose its attractive color, and weaken, a crown can make it strong and beautiful again. A crown treatment only requires you to commit to two or three dental visits in about a three-week span of time.
Is a Crown Right for Your Problem?
Your Arlington dentist must perform a dental exam and take X-rays to know for sure that you are a good candidate for a crown. There are a few circumstances when it’s likely that a crown will be the right solution for your dental problem:
- The tooth enamel is soft or weak.
- There are cracks in the surface of a tooth or broken edges.
- A single tooth shows dark discoloration that won’t respond to whitening gels.
- The enamel needs to be restored after root canal therapy.
- You have a missing tooth between two strong, healthy teeth (dental bridges use dental crowns).
If you do get a crown, it’s your responsibility to ensure its long-term stability. Ensure that it will stay in place for a very long time by observing the following important care tips:
- Brush and floss thoroughly around each tooth, paying close attention to the base of the crown. It’s important that you brush at least twice daily—once upon waking, and once after the last meal of the day. Floss before you go to sleep and between meals.
- Ask your dentist to create a nightguard if you’re grinding and clenching, which could damage a crown’s exterior.
- Avoid eating sticky or hard candies.
Get More from Your Smile
If your teeth have lost their strength and beauty because of dental damage, crowns might help. Contact Dr. Gregory’s family dental office in Arlington, VA, at 703-527-6495 today to schedule a dentist appointment.
How your dentist in Arlington, VA can help your smile
If you are suffering from broken teeth and a broken smile, your smile can be restored with dental crowns! Dental crowns are the go-to solution to strengthen teeth weakened by decay or damage. Dr. Mary Gregory, your dentist in Arlington, VA wants to help you discover the magic of dental crowns and how they strengthen damaged teeth.
Modern dental crowns are made of strong materials that are also cosmetically beautiful. When you choose dental crowns you will experience both the strength and natural-looking beauty of dental crowns.
Unlike huge, bulky metal fillings which can weaken your tooth structurally, dental crowns encase the entire visible portion of your tooth, protecting it like a suit of armor. Dental crowns help to shield your teeth from severe biting forces when you chew.
Your dentist in Arlington can replace your old, broken down metal fillings with dental crowns to provide a stronger, more naturally-beautiful smile. You want people to notice your smile, not your fillings!
There are several different dental crown materials to choose from. Consider:
- A full gold crown--which is a strong crown material usually reserved for back teeth where you need biting strength
- A porcelain-fused-to-metal crown--also called a PFM crown, which combines both strength and beauty; this crown is perfect for any location in your mouth.
- A full porcelain crown--which is the most natural-looking crown because it reflects light, just like your natural teeth; these crowns are typically placed on teeth that are visible when you smile.
You deserve to eat the foods you love without worry. You also deserve a smile you can be proud of, a smile that gives you confidence and enhances your life. Dental crowns can provide you with a lifetime of smiles. Don’t wait when it comes to your smile. Contact Dr. Gregory, your dentist in Arlington, VA, and strengthen your damaged teeth with dental crowns. Call today and get started on your great smile!